Without a Prescription
Oxytetracycline is a drug of the metabolism of Streptomyces rimosus and it belongs in the family of antibiotics. Oxytetracycline is a
medicine which helps to reduce the development of certain types of bacteria.
Oxytetracycline is recommended by doctors and personal health care providers in infections which are caused by the following
- Agents of lymphogranuloma venerum;
- Agents of granuloma inguinale;
- Agents of ornithosis;
- Agents of psittacosis;
- Gram negative microorganisms (such as haemophilus ducreyi pasteurella pestis vibrio comma vibrio fetus);
- Mycoplama pneumonia;
The side effects of Oxytetracycline are not alarming and usually not life threatening. The most common side effects that the
patients have been experiencing are the following:
- Glossitisinflammatory lesions in the anogenital zone and photosensitivity;
- Local irritation after the intramuscular injection;
Skin side effects are macuopapular and erythematous rashes, exfolative dermatitis.
Other side effects include:
- Pericarditis and exacerbation of the systemic lupus erythematosus;
- Angioneurotic edema;
- Anaphylactoid purpura;
In the patients who have been receiving full therapeutic dosages there were certain cases of bulging fontanels (especially
in infants) or benign intracranial hypertension (especially in adults) have been reported.
These medical conditions disappeared quickly after the Oxytetracycline administration has been stopped. The blood side effects
which have been reported include the following symptoms:
- Even eosinophilia;
- Hemolytic anemia;
In the persons who have been receiving Oxytetracycline treatment for long periods of time there have been reported cases of
discoloration of the thyroid glands, without affecting the thyroid's functions.